Thursday, November 29, 2012

Product Launches, Defining the Go-To Guy, and Classic Business Savvy


There sure are a lot of launches going down, online. Seems like everyone who has something to sell is trying to work people into a bug-eyed frenzy before allowing anyone to buy it.

I love good marketing tactics. The launch process is a good one, based on sound classic salesmanship... but geez Louise. I'm getting forty emails a day from people I don't know who pretend to be my closest buddy in the world, telling me the foreplay is almost over, and the long-awaited climax is just around the corner...

Let's just please all get a grip for a moment here.

There are products that deserve to be launched, with all due pomp and circumstance... and there are products that, frankly, look kinda like that emperor with no clothes on.

Sometimes, a circus is just another circus. And they aren't all the greatest show on earth.

Look... when I tout something to you in an email, or here in the blog, it's because I'm sold on it. I think it's a good thing to at least give a look-see... and I've checked it out first.

For me, that's a major part of the definition of being a go-to guy - to not squander any good will I've created with you, and not to be a whore about every commissioned project that I get asked to tout.

And I get asked a lot.

If I say something's worth checking out, I'm telling you from my heart and my professional experience. And hard as it may be to believe, I have even done this without expecting or asking for - or receiving - any kick-back of any kind.

I'm a die-hard capitalist, but I also take my job as a teacher damn seriously. I think my blogs and newsletters back this up.

I can appreciate any marketing tactic that gets people's blood pumping.

But really... when all is said and done... the bottom line will always be basic salesmanship and classic business savvy. A great friend, marketer and copywriter - himself part of a multi-million dollar launch of a worthwhile product that actually delivers the goods - said it very succinctly:

All you really need to be successful... is a business mind and someone who can write the copy.

Take a deep breath and cogitate on that for a moment. It's brilliant.

So stay frosty. And give it all a good look-see.

Choosing the Message of Your Product Launch Campaign   How a Product Launch Manager Can Help You Take Your Business to the Next Level   Three Tips on How to Market a New Product   Review of Auto Click Profits   



0 comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。